Be Content Diverse: Don't Just Do One Thing
Blogging is a great way to share your thoughts, ideas, knowledge and expertise with your target audience … especially in your voice. It is an informal way to connect your genius with those looking to tap into it.
BUT … it is not enough to write a blog, upload it on your website and cross your fingers waiting for the hordes of readers to find you.
SEO will certainly help. If you want to be the go-to person in your niche, you must share the love farther afield.
Reach out and touch someone
Back in the old days – like three years ago – five to six touches were enough to close a sale, generate a lead, build trust and connection. Now … it takes a lot more to build that trust. We are all so much more cynical about the intent behind people’s content, just waiting for them to pounce on us to sell something. How dare they be in business to sell something! (that is whole other blog).
These days it is more like 20 touches. People want to build a relationship with you. If they do not know you exist, writing and posting your blog on your website won’t cut it.
You have to get good at promotion (I call it PR … building powerful relationships). There are many apps and programs you can use to push your content out to more people – Buzzfeed, Outbrain, Coschedule. Now more than ever, people want to connect with those they do business with (that’s the future of marketing – relationships). Pushing your content out using paid tools may seem less authentic in the eyes of your target audience.
Hey, I get we are all time poor so you gotta do what you gotta do. For my content and my clients, Publicity Genie dedicates time for each to repurpose content, keep it fresh and share it on multiple platforms.
There can be more than one
Here are five ways to get your content in front of more people, organically and authentically.
1. Infographics – take your blog content and turn the key points in an eye catching, attention grabbing and easily digestible graphic with pictures and words. Use your branding to make it your own – logo, colours and font. Then share it on all the platforms your target audience is on. Canva is a great tool to quickly and easily make an infographic.
2. Video – who has five minutes to read 500 words in a blog? Not when you are running your own business; there’s too much to do. Lumen5 have a great tool where you can use the link from your blog and turn it into a video. It matches images and music to create a cool video to share across social media.
3. Facebook groups – and they are legion. There is a Facebook group for almost every interest and topic on the planet. You only want to be on the ones that add value to your business AND are home to your target audience. Don’t just dump and run; become part of the community. Answer questions to showcase your expertise. Take part in the daily posting schedule. Then share your blog, or infographic or video. I have made up a spreadsheet with all the groups so I can schedule the content across the week. This means I only one piece of content repurposed five different ways.
4. Be part of something bigger than you – there are many online forums and publishing sites that are always looking for fresh content. Sites like Smallville, Flying Solo, SheBrisbane, This Woman Can can’t produce the volumes of content needed to engage their audiences so they need people like you to create content for them. You get the third party credibility of being on their site, access to a larger audience and you can link your other blogs to your content on their site.
5. Repurpose – take your original blog and give it a facelift. Repurposing is one of the BEST things a time poor and budget conscious small business can do. Give it a new headline, change the intro, restructure it and taadaa – you have a new blog to post on Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter or Insta. If you only have time to write one blog a week, you can turn this into up to 10 different pieces of content (video, memes, infographics, eBook collection of blogs, media release, spinoffs from each main point, do a webinar, SlideShare, turn into an article, turn into social media content).